Friday, October 5, 2007

BULL

I like cows.
They are beautiful creatures. You have to love those eyes. I lived in the country once where we had cows in the pasture. I looked forward to the early quiet mornings when the sun was gently rising, the mist and dew were still heavy on the ground and the animals were begining to stir. That was the perfect time. The cows came to the fence line to greet me and I would breathe in what seemed to be a harmony of sights and sounds and smells (yes they smell) of all that was right in the world.

I have a soft spot for cows (maybe something of a reverence from a previous life) but that is not why I choose not to eat them.

I have been dairy free for most of my life, and have abstained from eating meat for several decades, but my choice was not because of those big brown eyes. Personally I think that cow's milk is for baby cows, not designed for baby or adult humans to consume. And the dead flesh from the butchered carcass....well we are higher on the food chain. Go for it if you like it.

I have eaten meat. I recall the satisfaction from ingesting a well prepared fillet, roast, or juicy hamburger at a barbecue. My problem is with the sustainability of agra-business and factory farming.

Feeding the world's population with protein that requires more deforested lands and water per pound of marketable food rather than replantable vegetable sources of protein is just not a viable and sustainable practice. Then we have the wastes that are produced by these methane belching creatures, and the seas of fecal matter. I won't even go into the practice of mistreating the creatures and feeding them artificial hormones for faster growth and the culled remains of their diseased relatives that have led to other serious health problems in the consumer population. I could go on with links and facts and figures but I'm not an activist on this issue. If it resonates with you, you'll do your own research.

So what brought me to write about cows of all things this morning?
Yes...yet another theory claiming to be the cause of Multiple Sclerosis. I just know that at least 2 or 3 of my friends and acquaintances will have read or heard about this and will be calling me to change my diet!

Here it is:

Antibody cross-reactivity between myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein and the milk protein butyrophilin in multiple sclerosis by Johannes Guggenmos in the January 1, 2004 issue of the Journal of Immunology found evidence that multiple sclerosis is caused from the consumption of cow’s milk – by causing attacks by the immune system through a process known as molecular mimicry.
The author who posted this article who goes by Penn continues : " Within 10 years of diagnosis, half of the victims of MS are wheel-chair bound, bed-ridden, or dead – unless they are fortunate enough to change their diet. With a healthy diet the risk of getting worse over the next 35 years is less than 5% "

Bubbie says :"BULL CRAP!"
I have eaten a clean vegetarian, mostly organic diet for most of my adult life. High in essential fatty acids, devoid or artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup. Swank has nothing on me. And I have Multiple Sclerosis.
We'll see what Penn has to say about that.

6 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

"I have eaten a clean vegetarian, mostly organic diet for most of my adult life. ... And I have Multiple Sclerosis. We'll see what Penn has to say about that."

Penn says: Obviously either you are a liar because you are drinking milk, or you are liar because you do not have MS. Since you are a doctor, probably both.


I'm with you on this, I'd need some more detailed information.

BRAINCHEESE said...

Cows, schmows...Dear God, what WILL "they" think up next to explain the unexplanable?!?

Perhaps we will revert back to the old notion "WE" have caused this ourselves...consciously or unconsciously...because "WE" MSers are just sore losers...LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

harkoo said...

I don't eat meat but will eat dairy ie yogurts, cheese and milk. I am now going to soy milks. But I wasn't eating any meats either and I still got MS. Now we just have to teach Linda to appreciate a bean burger instead of a grilled steak!

penn said...

These mare not my words but the words of Dr. John A. McDougall, MD www.drmcdougall.com and the reference is clearly stated on the page:

January 1, 2004 issue of the Journal of Immunology 172(1): 661-8

P.S. See also:

Swank R. Effect of low saturated fat diet in early and late cases of multiple sclerosis. Lancet. 1990 Jul 7;336(8706):37-9.

Swank R. Multiple sclerosis: fat-oil relationship. Nutrition. 1991 Sep-Oct;7(5):368-76.

Swank R. Multiple sclerosis: the lipid relationship. Am J Clin Nutr. 1988 Dec;48(6):1387-93.

Swank R. Multiple sclerosis: twenty years on low fat diet. Arch Neurol. 1970 Nov;23(5):460-74.

Weinshenker BG. The natural history of multiple sclerosis. Neurol Clin. 1995 Feb;13(1):119-46.

Butcher J. The distribution of multiple sclerosis in relation to the dairy industry and milk consumption. N Z Med J. 1976 Jun 23;83(566):427-30.

Malosse D. Correlation between milk and dairy product consumption and multiple sclerosis prevalence: a worldwide study. Neuroepidemiology. 1992;11(4-6):304-12.

Agranoff BW. Diet and the geographical distribution of multiple sclerosis. Lancet. 1974 Nov 2;2(7888):1061-6.

Winer S. T cells of multiple sclerosis patients target a common environmental peptide that causes encephalitis in mice. J Immunol. 2001 Apr 1;166(7):4751-6.

Lauer K. Diet and multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 1997 Aug;49(2 Suppl 2):S55-61.

McDougall Interview with Dr. Roy Swank, MD http://www.drmcdougall.com/res_swank.html

McDougall, Winer, Lauer, Agranoff, Malosse, Butcher, Weinshenker, and Swank. Do you really think all these doctors are faking the study results they are publishing in these major medical journals?

penn

Bubbie said...

Penn: I appreciate you coming here to comment as well as citing your sources. As you may have gleemed, you have entered the world of bloggers with or with an interest in MS.
The Swank diet has been in acceptance for a long time now..and I said I have followed that lifestyle for many many years..including being a raw foody as often as possible. A good diet can change one's health dramatically, especially when they have spent a lifetime eating crap.
And ask anyone who has a vested interest in the results of these studies subjectively, and also those who are scientists who conduct studies and are looking at it objectivly: size of the study, parameters, criteria and who funds the study usually says more about the outcomes.
I still contend that Dr. McDougal's statement was sensational...seems to reason, he's in the business of selling books and booking weeks at his clinics for those who are desparate for his wisdom.

penn said...

My recommendation to anyone reading this should read and review the studies. Check out the “size of the study, parameters, criteria and who funds the study”; before dismissing them. Once you have done this you can come to your own conclusion. Make an informed decision and don’t just call it “Bull” because it doesn’t fit your current paradigm.

As for the sensational qualities of Dr. McDougall’s article, I will say that most of the time this is what it takes to get the average American to read anything. Most people get their information from the nightly news and the networks are pros at sensationalism. We have all heard the teasers that say “What you are eating right now could kill you, tonight at 10.” It maybe sensational, but it gets us to watch the ten o’clock news. The same goes for all types of media. What is the point in writing something if no one is going to read it?

Followers

awards

awards