Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanks

Thanksgiving often reminds me of elementary school days, making construction paper turkey's by tracing out outstretched palms, coloring cartoon pictures of Pilgrims wearing funny hats and big buckles on their shoes. I can honestly say I had never given much thought to the lives of those Pilgrims , their arduous journey to America and the hardships they must have endured. We can only imagine, considering we freak out when the electricity goes out, our cell phones can't get a signal or when gasoline tops $3 a gallon. Even if we were cast on Extreme Survivor, there would still be cameramen and medics a few feet away.





I'm counting my blessings and preparing to fly to my daughter's home for the holiday.



In preparation for this Thanksgiving Day, I have listed my lineage with my ancestors back to the Mayflower. Most of the research was done by a cousin of mine (I met online). I find history to be fascinating. I was very surprised to hear that I was a descendant of one of the Mayflower Pilgrims. Weren't they religious? pious? saintly? My relatives? Dig deeper...



According to Wikipedia: John Howland (c. 15991673) was one of the settlers who travelled from England to North America on the Mayflower and helped found the Plymouth Colony.

Howland was born in Fenstanton, Huntingdonshire, England. At the age of twenty-one, he was employed by John Carver, a Puritan minister who joined with William Bradford in bringing his congregation from Leiden, Netherlands to the New World. Howland, formally considered a servant, was in fact Carver's assistant in managing the migration.
Although he had arrived on the Mayflower as a servant to the Carver family, Howland was a young man determined to make his mark in the new world, arriving as neither a "stranger", nor a "saint" as the
Pilgrims termed themselves. The arduous voyage very nearly ended his life as he was thrown overboard, due to turbulent seas, but managed to grab a topsail halyard that was trailing in the water and was hauled back aboard.



Figures...he was a servant lol.

Figures...he was not a saint lol

And THANKFULLY he WAS hauled back aboard!



Besides Bubbie there are many other notable descendants of John Howland. Franklin D.Roosevelt, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush

( You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your relative's)





So for all you genealogy fans the tree looks like this:


John Howland who married Elizabeth Tilley
Desire Howland who married John Gorham
Shubael Gorham who married Puella Hussey
Deborah Gorham who married Beriah Fitch
Eunice Fitch who married Benjamin Barnard
Lucinda Barnard who married Barachiah Macy
Jonathan Macy who married Hannah Pierce
Mary Macy who married Jabish Luellen
Jonathan Macy Luellen who married Rebecca Margaret Current
Mary Elizabeth Luellen who married William Andrew Symons

Walter Scott Symons who married Helen Vivian Cubby
Leonard Luellen Symons...and
ME

8 comments:

BRAINCHEESE said...

I always KNEW you were "royalty"...LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

Have myelin? said...

I'm royalty smitten. LOL! :-)

Merelyme said...

woweee...i wonder if you are also connected to kevin bacon.

MsShad said...

Wow, that's impressive that you've done all that work. I'm envious, yet not at all interested in finding out mine lineage. Wonder what that means, hmmm?

Anne said...

Bubbie:

Are you okay? Haven't seen you posting around lately.

Anne

Bubbie said...

Hi Anne, and all others in blog world,
I am fine, well sort of.
I've been in Virginia at my daughter's house for the holidays. Two weeks! Should be home next wednesday. Baby had the Boogers when we arrived, sooooo...of course we got them soon after. Only I got them with a 102 fever for 4 days. That doesn't mix well with MS I found out! I'm feeling better now, and actually able to enjoy the little booger nosed varmint now too. I've been glancing at blogs when I can, but will catch up when I get back to home sweet home.

Merelyme said...

hey...we miss you and i sure hope you get to feeling better soon. it sucks to be sick.

Have myelin? said...

Don't you wish you had all those ancestors diaries? Or wished they were mandated to keep diaries? As if they had time....LOL.

Followers

awards

awards