Tuesday, December 18, 2007

pictures and cookies






An hour with your grandchildren can make you feel young again. Anything longer than that, and you start to age quickly.

-- Author:Gene Perret

I have been amiss. I promised to post pictures from my 2 week hiatus with my grand baby at Thanksgiving. Here it is almost Christmas! I don't know where my time goes. Yes..that is I, the Bubbie, reading to the baby.
I had a wonderful time even with the upper respiratory crud that was so lovingly shared with me.
Camryn will be two in a few short days. She continues to be a wonderful Christmas present, and watching my daughter with her fills me with tremendous pride...she's a wonderful mommy.
My son and his wife will be arriving tomorrow and will be here for Christmas. Their baby is due in May. I love being a Bubbie!
Before closing this post I'll share my recipe for mint meringue cookies, so you might be able to whip up a batch before Christmas. I learned this one from my mother in law. It's a must-make for my hubby and kids.
You will need:
4 egg whites
1 1/2 cups of sugar
a few grains of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. mint extract
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
optional green or red food coloring
bag of chocolate chips
parchment paper
cookie sheets
use a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl for the egg whites
all utensils must be very clean and dry
separate eggs while cold but whip egg whites at room temperature
best results are with low humidity (a rarity in Florida)
preheat oven to 350 degrees
Beat egg whites with salt and tartar till they hold soft peaks
Add sugar gradually while continuing to whip
also add the extracts and food coloring
fold in the chips
Drop meringues on parchment covered cookie sheets
put them in the oven
leave temp on oven for a few minutes (maybe 3-5)
turn oven off and leave cookies in overnight
Don't open the door to peek!!
store in a airtight container lined with waxed paper
Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anne said...

Your granddaughter is absolutely beautiful!! Oh, how you must miss seeing her all the time.

Happy Holidays to you, Bubbie. Write soon, you know where.
Anne

BRAINCHEESE said...

The Bubbie and the Baby Bubbie are grand! Yes, I even think Baby Bubbie resembles The Bubbie a bit...perhaps it is her mischievious smile?!?

Linda D. in Seattle

Callie said...

What a beautiful little child! They are so fun at that age.

Merelyme said...

oh my goodness...what wonderful photos! she sure is cute as a button. and you! look at you! i really do mean this when i say...you look waayyy too young to be a grandma. you are beautiful bubbie! Happy Holidays!

LISA EMRICH said...

Hi Bubbie,

I've decided to start a Blog Carnival specifically for those with MS or those who discuss MS. You are invited to participate. Information is available at http://brassandivory.blogspot.com/2007/12/announcing-new-carnival-of-ms-bloggers.html

thanks,
Lisa

Merelyme said...

hope you had a great christmas! come back to us when you can.

Miss Chris said...

Those kids sure are cutie-pies...

Have myelin? said...

what sweeties! you are lucky to be a grandma!

Followers

awards

awards