Sunday, January 20, 2008

Martha Must Die!


I have been possessed since the holidays. It came upon me suddenly and took over my mind and body. I thought it was just a "holiday ghost" and would leave as soon as the tree was down, BUT Nooooo... I have been struggling with this demon ever since. Her name is Martha, and as you might know, she thinks she is a domestic goddess. The antithesis of Bubbie. Yes, the ANTI-Bubbie!




She has driven me to dawdle through aisle 5 at the grocery store, throwing ingredients in my cart. Flour, unsweetened cocoa, bakers chocolate, flours, flavorings, sweeteners, herbs and spices. I have made cookies, cakes and pies from scratch. The flour sifter has made a permanent home for itself on my kitchen counter. Beans have been soaked, soups made and frozen, sauces and stews from recipe books that haven't been opened in decades. It's been scary.




This demon has not only had her way in the kitchen, she set her sights on the rest of the house too! She has drug me through fabric stores. Not only has she had me to recover my dining room chairs, she's planning to sew new draperies in there too. ( Damn, I think she just whispered to me something about a beautiful shade of paint for the living room)




There are fresh flowers in the vases about the house. There's a new crochet project next to my chair, lest I totally waste time in front of the TV, and my house is strangely clean with the scent of flowers and candles.




I will admit, a little Martha goes a long way. She's not all bad, she just needs to chill out and relax. I can't say I haven't enjoyed the fruits of these labors and the fact that I have been able to follow through on them physically is saying a lot. I think Martha came with the cooler temperatures. This Martha and my MS couldn't stand the heat in the Florida summers. I know too well there have been days I could not even stand at the kitchen counter, or have the strength and coordination to use a sharp knife and chop veggies or clean up.




Ok...she can hang awhile longer. I want to see what she has in mind for the living room.

9 comments:

BRAINCHEESE said...

Hmmm...you're not craving pickles and ice cream are you?!?! Sounds a bit suspicious...like a pregnant woman about to give birth. I think that term is "nesting"...LMAO!

Linda D. in Seattle

Anne said...

Enjoy this "Spurt" of domestication while you can!

Gee, is this the after effect of stopping the Rebif?!?!?! Well done, I say.

Take care,
Anne

Merelyme said...

wow! you sound great! come on over to my house...you can clean and organize and bake to your little heart's content.

Bubbie said...

Ms.Cheese,
Shut your mouth! Don't even think such a thing.My blog would be from an IP address of a prison due to the homocidal side effects of such a "blessed event" at my age.

Bubbie said...

Anne,
I think you are right. Not only are the cooler temperatures in my favor, I'm not contending with 4 days of "flu" a week. Reminds me...doc is on my a** to pick a new poison. Don't even want to think about it now. I have drapes to sew.

Miss Chris said...

Martha gives all of us slackers a bad wrap.

Miss Chris said...

Martha gives all of us slackers a bad wrap.

Merelyme said...

hey martha...er uh bubbie...come on over to my place...i am having a love-in. you are cordially invited. you can rest all you want there.

Diane J Standiford said...

Did you buy some Chows? Got any stock tips for me? Most importantly--can I come live at your house?

Followers

awards

awards