Sunday, April 13, 2008

bees do it

Posted by Picasa
I am a patient gardener.
I have had this specimen for 6 years and this is the very first bloom. I was told that it's a vanilla bean orchid. It grows like a terrestrial vine. I had never seen one in bloom before . The "orchid man" at the green house I visit often told me the vine needed to mature to somewhere around 20 feet or more before it will flower. Then I was told that when that happened I would have to play the part of Mother Nature's pollinating creatures since it lives on my patio, and make use of one of my small paint brushes and tickle it, I guess...if I wanted the flowers to create the coveted vanilla bean. ( I can only guess what my inner Martha will make with those)
Well, I did the deed and only time will tell if it was good for her. Oddly/Sadly? I'm a little excited.

7 comments:

Miss Chris said...

I admire anyone that has a green thumb. I don't have one of those. We just had to remove some beautiful plants from our backyard yesterday because the bees loved them too much. I'm not afraid of bees but there were soooo many, our bushes were actually buzzing.

BRAINCHEESE said...

Why you little Flower Fornicator, you! Some live to be "tickled"...LMAO

Glad to see you back, BTW...

Linda D. in Seattle

Bubbie said...

Ms.Cheese:
You'll have to wait on that moniker. I attempted to fornicate, I may have simply harassed.

Anne said...

Now I've heard it all! There's got to be an easier way to get a vanilla bean. Although orchids are simply beautiful.

Shauna said...

Welcome to the world of sex with plants...I was engaged to do the same thing with a friends' squash several years ago when they were going to be out of town. Good thing we're not shy...

S.

mdmhvonpa said...

Congratulations! Mommy Mother Nature ... ;D

Merelyme said...

heh heh..you are a plant tickler. you sound really good...happy spring!

Followers

awards

awards