Monday, November 3, 2008

Scream!

As I write this I'm experiencing what I refer to as "Silly Word Syndrome". Really...SCREAM? Maybe from the childhood rhyme, You scream, I scream, We all scream for Ice cream". Ok, I'm over it.

Enough about SCREAM, this post is about STRESS. 'Tis the season, apparently. Season's are all running together, it doesn't seem to matter. The fact that the holidays are right around the proverbial corner is just icing on the cake. We have personal illness, medical costs, relationships, finances, and on the bigger picture screen we have war, failing economy, bigotry, bias, intolerance...the list is too long.

Ask anyone with MS and they'll tell you that it's true, stress very often precedes a flare of symptomatology. Having the disease itself is cause for significant stress, and stress causes what?...more disease? Feel that hamster wheel spin. It's enough to make you...OK, back to that again: SCREAM!

I recently read a study on social/emotional stress and autoimmune disease. Of course the study was done on mice (poor mice). It showed that social stress levels elevates pro-inflammatory cytokine interlukin-6 and worsens autoimmune disease symptoms. Apparently their was this happy group of cohabitating mice. They all got along nicely. They had no stressers and life was good. They were injected with a virus that caused an infection that affected their nervous system similar to multiple sclerosis. Still, they got along and life was still good but now they had something like MS. Then the researchers added social stress. They introduced an intruder mouse. He must have been an alpha bully. Bad Ass Boss Mouse stressed the other once happy, stress free mice that now had compromised nervous systems. This new social stress caused a rise in the interlukin-6 levels in the brains of the once happy rodents and produced more severe MS-like symptoms.
The study went on to theorize that if a neutralizing antibody could be administered it would inhibit the body's pro-inflammatory response and reduce the MS symptoms. This could include anti-inflammatory drugs, excercise, antidepressants, omega-3 fatty acids, mindfulness , meditation, relaxation training.
Seems silly...why not just say no to Bad Ass Mice.


4 comments:

Merelyme said...

LOL bad ass mice...you crack me up. i sure have been feeling the stress lately. seems like as soon as halloween is done then wham...it is suddenly christmas. my son who has autism is already anxious about it and was wishing people a merry christmas as he trick or treated. every day he wants to know if it is christmas yet. it will be a long two months.

so glad to see you and i need to catch up!

just wanted to let you know...our beloved diane standiford has graciously given an interview which is on health central and you may view it here: http://www.healthcentral.com/multiple-sclerosis/c/73302/46335/people

Let me know if you would be interested in doing a written interview and I can set you up!

BRAINCHEESE said...

I've a mouse the size of a RAT in my life causing "social stress" at my workplace...

Time to set some traps with CHEESE! MOOHAHAHA

Linda D. in Seattle

Denver Refashionista said...

I suspected this was true. I gots to chill.

have myelin said...

This post was so good I posted a link to it on my blog.

Let me scream.....with you.

Followers

awards

awards