Friday, November 21, 2008

You don't know what you've got til it's gone





The Importance of the Opposable Thumb
The thumb, unlike other fingers, is opposable, in that it is the only digit on the human hand which is able to oppose or turn back against the other four fingers, and thus enables the hand to refine its grip to hold objects which it would be unable to do otherwise. The opposable thumb has helped the human species develop more accurate fine motor skills. It is also thought to have directly led to the development of tools, not just in humans or their evolutionary ancestors, but other primates as well. The opposable thumb ensured that important human functions such as writing were possible.The thumb, in conjunction with the other fingers make humans and other species with similar hands some of the most dexterous in the world.
That's the Wiki definition. Let me elaborate.

Try without using your thumb for example:

  • turning your key in the ignition
  • buttoning clothes or pulling up your fly
  • using a tweezers (my eyebrows become Neanderthal overnight)
  • signing your name
  • finding the correct change

The list goes on...I know from my own stupid experience.

I chopped not a slice, but a divot, from my thumb while making soup. Yes, it was chilly herein South Florida, all of 55 degrees, and I needed to make a large pot of soup. (I swear, this Martha-mode stuff is a seasonal disorder with me)

It the knowledge of the usefulness of the thumb from one's dominant hand isn't enough, try stopping the profuse flow of blood from one with your other hand. It was rather comical, and messy. So much for my soup.

In other news, I have completed my first week taking 4 aminopyridine. The first two days were rough. My head felt like a helium balloon. I was dizzy and every nerve that ever went blinky before was in full spaz mode. I even felt blue, out of the blue, so I knew it was the introduction of this new chemical compound to my brain.

And on the third day ( of course I'm going to say it!) She rose again!

Yes, amazingly. I felt great! I walked not only without dragging a leg behind me, my gait was smooth! While sitting or in repose, I didn't experience any of those myclonic herky-jerkies, and I wasn't fatigued!

It's been a week today, and I'm still not ready to give this capsule the credit for my renewed self. It could be the weather. It could be coincidence, or as in my case (LOL)...Divine.

I shall keep you posted.

Now , I have Miss Joni Mitchell in my head.

7 comments:

Miss Chris said...

Ouch for your thumb! I also learned the appreciation of the opposable thumb when I broke my wrist an was in a cast... that completely immobilized my thumb.

BRAINCHEESE said...

I usually deal with cut wrists in my business, not thumbs...but I imagine your PAIN is no different!

Glad to hear you are on the mend for whatever reason...and it's OK to blame it on ANYTHING.

Linda D. in Seattle

Merelyme said...

awww your poor thumb! ouchies!

now tell me more about this drug you are on. i am most intrigued.

Anne said...

Hi Bubbie: Sorry about the thumb and don't wanna taste the soup.

Glad your new drug seems agreeable. The weather here is horrible right now (cold, damp and every other day snowflakes) and you just burst my balloon about dreams of going to Florida. 55 degrees... global changes for sure.

Glad you didn't need stitches and hope the divot loss is not too bad.

Anne

Denver Refashionista said...

Best of luck with the new meds and the healing thumb.

have myelin said...

Two thumbs up for an insightful post... LOL.

pUNKrOCKfairy said...

In a recent attempt at teaching our children the importance of being careful when using a knife, we taped all of their fingers together, and challenged them to last the day. My hubs recently filleted his thumb with a knife at work and my 9-going-on-30 year old had the moxie to tease him about it. She lasted about 2 hours without the use of her opposable thumb. I admit a sick satisfaction in this kind of parenting victory.

Followers

awards

awards