Saturday, January 31, 2009

Busy Bubbie

Posted by Picasa


I know I haven't posted in quite some time.

The Bubbie has been busy with a capital B.
I had company before Christmas, and then had all of Bubbie's babies here for the first 2 plus weeks of January. We all had a great time, and being the Bubbie that I am, I have hundreds of pictures to prove it.

Lucky for you I won't bore you with all the pictures of adorable grandchildren
I took.
In all of that fun and chaos, I managed to make and break a few New Year's resolutions. The one that I have kept was to continue painting . Last year I vowed to get off my whiney MS arse (with some prodding and encouragement from a friend or two) and get back in the game. It WAS my game for most of my life. I was a painter, I worked professionally. It was what I did, and to a degree, who I was.
Now after a year of painting with watercolor on paper, I vowed to continue, but this time to push the envelope a little farther and add another challenge. Now that I have had some of the confidence return that had left me flat after not working for 5 years, I am going to pursue painting oils on canvas again.

This is my first attempt. It's a local beach. I'm pretty happy with it for a first attempt. It was done with a palette knife and thick paint. I'm studying painting the "temperature" of color.

I have to say that getting back to what I enjoy doing has done more for me physically and mentally than any drug that I have tried for my Multiple Sclerosis. It keeps me occupied. It's a diversion from the focus I've had for too long on my disease and it's symptoms. I'm not saying that I don't have my challenges. Optic neuritis has been my biggest one lately. I'm learning to deal and compensate for the way I perceive color. Double vision, vision and a half, vision and a quarter...I hate it when that happens.
It might make for some pretty trippy paintings though.

4 comments:

Denver Refashionista said...

Sounds like things are going great. I am happy for you. I love the picture too.

BRAINCHEESE said...

once again, I am in awe of your talent and "vision"...even if your actually eyes are blurring. Your heart always sees perfectly. :-)

Linda D. in Seattle

herrad said...

Hi Bubie,

Thanks for the post lovely painting very dreamy.

Keep painting.
Love,
Herrad
ps my partner/carers blog is
http://screamingrichie.blogspot.com/

Miss Chris said...

Beautiful painting!

Followers

awards

awards