Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Well, I've never been to Texas....





* as she sings, "but I kinda like the music".


That was Spain, but...WHATEVER!

It's true, I've never been to Texas, But a small sampling of my salivary glands have been. They left the inside of my lower lip last Thursday , got themselves to the University of Texas to be studied for the presence of Sjogrens Syndrome.



The procedure was basically painless with just a few disolvable stitches, but for three days I had lips that rivaled those of the OctoMom.
I have been told that the lip biopsy is the definitive test for the presence of Sjogrens. An earlier battery of blood work was somehow not conclusive, even though it also read "positive".

As with most things medical, the more I read about Sjogrens the more I don't understand. It can be as simple and annoying as having dry eyes and mouth (apparently from those pesky white cells attacking and destroying the cells in your glandular tissue much as MS does with your myelin sheaths) to having a host of symptoms from it affecting your joints, organs and central nervous system.

Who knew?

5 comments:

BRAINCHEESE said...

Awe, dear Bubbie...suckage, total suckage. But if you ever surprise me again with an Octomom reference out of the blue like that, causing me to snort a drink of water until my eyes bulged from laughter, I'll...well, I'll...well, I'll probably just laugh as hard and nearly choke to death.

Rock on, Bubbie...sjogren's or no sjogren's...

Miss Chris said...

You wrote that the more you rad about Sjogrens, the more you don't understand. Probably because the medical establishment doesn't understand it too well themselves...

have myelin said...

I am convinced I have Sjogrens as my mother has it and I am dry as a dead fossil in the desert. In Iraq.

But I tested negative. No one told me I could have a tongue biopsy. That is where I feel DRY.

Calling Neuro 911

Denver Refashionista said...

What a drag. I'm glad you are keeping up your spirits.

pUNKrOCKfairy said...

No more diagnoses! I've made this declaration to the universe on behalf of all MSers. I feel we should be on the Do Not Call list for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and everything else including indi-damn-gestion for pete's sake!

(Beautiful weather we been havin' here in Florida, eh? Should be new flowers to inspire you soon, I hope.)

Followers

awards

awards