Tuesday, September 29, 2009

a question of balance



Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.


Thomas Merton




I can't take credit for this photograph. I took quite a few pictures of the sunset on the Pamlico River while on vacation but none as amazing as this one taken by my Daughter In law.

I enjoyed our family reunion. All of Bubbie's Babies in one place. We had a wonderful time.

I have been doing so well I find I have been wearing a permanent smile. People have taken notice, wondering what I'm smiling at. I guess when you've been beaten down with heavy limbs, pain, and fatigue, a genuine smile doesn't come easily. I feel renewed. Having been there and now experiencing the other side I can't help but be ecstatic. I'd say that I am well aware of the extremes.

I am now being reminded of keeping a balance. Libra that I am, extremes are more familiar, but balance is necessary to my well being as a whole.

I've gone from barely able to ambulate with a cane and sometimes walker, to walking with an assured gait with just some discomfort and numbness. I can handle that!

I have gone from a sedentary life, dragging myself from one task to the next, even foregoing tasks for naps, to working a new part time job and functioning without an outward sign of chronic illness.

I went from taking daily or weekly injections and handfuls of pharmaceuticals, to taking one daily med (plaquenel) and my vitamins and supplements.

I have already lost 20 of the pounds I packed on over the last shadowy 5 years and now see the glimmer of who I was and want to be. I'm taking better care of myself, carefully choosing my options everyday.

I am not so naive that I don't know that all of this new found well being could change in a heartbeat. That's life...and part of the grand illusion. But I do believe I have a new perspective that will enable me to keep a healthier balance, order, rhythm and harmony in body, mind and spirit.

I regret having not been actively posting to this blog. I do read your posts. I care about you all, wish you all the best and try to stay in touch on that terribly addicting FB site.
I've been busy working, painting, walking , smiling and enjoying the scenery.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

BRAINCHEESE said...

You inspire me...oh, hush now...YOU do!

Jen said...

YAY! Enough said :)

Anne said...

I'll catch up to ya on that terribly addicting FB site.

Have Myelin? said...

I am glad for you. =)

Anne said...

Haven't seen you in a while online. I hope you are still doing as well as you are in this post.

I'm doing ok.....keeping on with keeping on.

Blog again soon to update how you are doing,
Love,
Anne

PS I am still terribly addicted to FB games and http://apps.facebook.com/mesmogames/rpgArcadeHome?entrySource=bookmark

for token based challenge games.

See you soon,
Anne

TickledPink said...

Such wonderful news!! It's always inspiring and gives one hope to read about someone with this dreaded disease actually feeling BETTER for a change.

Wishing you all the best!
Jeri

Anonymous said...

Hi all – I just wanted to let you know about a study currently enrolling people with relapsing forms of MS. The study is testing a medicine in pill form, teriflunomide, which you may have already heard about through MS news or NMSS reports. The study is called the TOWER study. Check it out here: www.tower3.msstudies.com/

Amy said...

Hello.
We just wanted to take a moment to let you know how much we enjoy your blog and your attempts to raise awareness for MS! MS is a cause that is near and dear to us as well as Laina's mother suffered from MS. Our slogan is Orange is the new pink! So many people do not know what Multiple Sclerosis is. Even less know that orange is the color representing Multiple Sclerosis. However, you would be surprised to find someone who didn’t know that pink was the color to represent Breast Cancer. That needs to change!! We need orange to be just as recognizable as pink!! We have Tshirts, women's tees, sweatshirts, and totes. Check them out at http://lainamolaski.com/about/multiple-sclerosis/ and also look at http://lainamolaski.com/about/world-ms-day/. We kicked off an initiative on May 5th to try and raise $3,000 by World MS Day on May 26th. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Followers

awards

awards